Monday, June 5, 2023

Summer 2023 - Week 1 Recap

I feel like we learned a lot of things yesterday at Heritage Isles. First and foremost, the course is a reminder that you can't just look at yardages when determining where to play. And unfortunately, you can't just look at Rating/Slope either.

The Course Setup Committee (yep, that's me) usually does a good job selecting base tees that produce the most fun and chances of "decent" scores. Sometimes people chirp about it being too easy or short... even though you always have the option of moving back to gain some strokes with additional challenge.

Heritage isles offers yardages of 6,236 and 5,615 — a gap that is incredibly egregious. With a Slope of 126 on the longer Blue tees, we went with those and allowed the 55/25 Club the option of moving up. This was a mistake, and the Committee regrets the error.

Long carries off the tee, narrow chutes, and par 3s of 175-200 yards is just too much for our standards. Some of us probably shot the same scores from the Blues that we do on the Whites. But it wasn't enjoyable. Our base tees should always be enjoyable.
 
Moving back and removing the "fun" should be a choice you make to possibly gain a stroke advantage. Yesterday most of us had no choice.

It doesn't help that some of the conditions out there were absolute shit. Fairways and rough were nice. The actually grass on the greens was good. But the surfaces were bumpy, almost as if ball marks were never fixed. The bunkers were the worst I've ever seen, and I mentally couldn't get over losing two brand new balls in bunker-lakes on the first 4 holes.

Dave correctly opined that the only reason he won was because most of the field had to play his tees. This might be the first time the winner's handicap calculation didn't even take the round, as Dave had no equitable adjustments to further reduce his score. He just played steady and smart golf, avoiding any big mistakes.

Melberg couldn't avoid triple bogeys (3 of them), but finished 2nd for a lot of the same reasons.

Billy, Gorecki, and Adam were higher handicaps that fell into 3rd place. It was some of the best golf I've ever seen Gorecki play... despite some of the absolute worse swings I've ever seen. He could be dangerous again this season if he stops randomly shanking the ball.
 
We also learned that golf is hard, and you can't just proclaim things are going to happen — or never going to happen — and will it into existence. There's a fine line between overconfidence and delusion.

----------------------------------

We got the Skins Game next week at Southern Dunes at 8:39am. It might be the best course on our ROTA at the moment. We have two Members who need to confirm if they're in, one of which needs to pay his dues.

More on the course later... but base tees are WHITE... 55/25 people can choose WHITE/GOLD.
 
While the WHITE tees are nearly the same distance as we just played at Heritage Isles, it's a drastically different track and very manageable. Most importantly, it's fun.


Let me know your tee choice if you haven't already.

22 comments:

  1. Nice round Dave, not an easy course to avoid big numbers. And what a 79 by Melberg, a wild scorecard. Casey, bring me some sage next week because I’m in a deep dark place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Sage" would be a good name for one of those chipper clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the champion mentality there. Ignore the compliments and on to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should also point out Melberg reached #1 in the World for the first time ever. Congrats!

    There's going to be a lot of movement in the rankings this season before they lock for the Rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really wish I could make it to Southern Dunes. Really enjoy that one.

    Crum kept saying, and me agreeing, how good Melberg was and how well he was playing. If it weren’t for those triples he’d have had a really boring round shooting even par or better.

    The cart girl quitting after we told her we’d see her next time when she saw us on 3 and just driving by the rest of y’all certainly didn’t help my attitude. Looking forward to a few more rounds like that during the summer season, but probably with CPO as well. Would have been an easy 5.5 hour round with CPO on Sunday.

    Seeing Gorecki’s name up there all day really got me thinking how he’d have been 10 strokes worse from the blues. And I think I’d have been at least 8 strokes better. Had I not hit several pretty good 3 woods, hybrids, and long irons, it would have been a Ho type day. And I hated it even playing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So kudos to Gorecki for a better gross score than 5 other golfers and tying a 6th (that was me).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's 5 not counting Hauch...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave stayed consistent despite the bumpy greens and tight tee boxes. Good win!

    Gold tees created several situations requiring me to move the ball left to right off the tee. Not something I can comfortably control and it showed. Then subconsciously I embodied Gorecki and proceeded to collapse on the back 9. Only made one par on the back 9, hole 16 the 236 yard par 3. Nearly 3 putted from 15 feet on those unpredictable greens.

    Side note, we need some sort of group rule for bunker conditions and when the ball should be removed. It happened too much in my opinion when I could see dry sand. I don’t think it should matter if the dry ground is on an unfavorable slope. Not ridiculous slope, just less than ideal.

    Blue tees please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Troy warned me the bunkers were bad. I believed him, but wasn't prepared for the extent. I honestly didn't know bunkers could be that bad... or retain that much water.

    In hindsight, I would have just ruled ALL bunkers to be "ground under repair." Medium sized miss on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There’s not a pro tournament on this planet that would have had players playing off downslopes of lake bunkers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not to brag but I am the record holder at southern dunes I think. Who’s gonna take it from me

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Topor or Danny in the field. That leaves Gorecki who is teeing forward.

    I think you keep your record

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorecki teed it forward last time and shot a 107. It’s possible. Not likely, though. Here’s a chance for Gary to win. Or Crum. My course picking already sucks this season having to miss a fun, open course. Figured this would be a major course like last time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried to make it week 3 but they had another event in the morning. Had to book it sooner than later while the greens were still good

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the compliment Dan but you are a bunker nazi, you’re crazy. The real champion on Sunday was Goreick, is Greg playing on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete