Topor won his 2nd career event, which was quite shocking since it had to be one of the hottest rounds we've ever played. I don't get physically drained often — since I'm the epitome of human fitness — but I was struggling swinging the club.
Considering how difficult University Park played, it was quite shocking Topor was able to build a 6 shot lead on the back nine. We all made jokes that it wouldn't last... and it almost didn't... with a quad on 12 and a him playing double-bogey golf from 13 on.
Meanwhile, Moostie made a charge with nothing but pars and bogeys on the back to lose by one. They were the only guys living under par (net)!
Greens were great. Rough was lush... with balls sometimes sitting up and sometimes not. Fairways were a little bare which was surprising. To me it seemed the transition from rye to whatever strand of Bermuda wasn't going well. And like all courses, they have a tree problem... if you consider dwarf/saw palmettos to be mini trees. Those things are pretty damn penal and they're everywhere! That course would look amazing if they killed back some of those areas and just made it pine straw.
Congrats to all the winners of the matches. The site should be fully updated, including your individual records.
Also, jokes aside, we are going to miss Travis. Good luck starting your new life... and I hope whatever new friends you make are way worse than us.
-----------------------------------
The Concussion this week is at Southport Springs... a tricked-up "short" course in Zephyrhills we played two years ago. Melberg shot -6 (gross!) and only tied for the victory with Ho due to his +1 handicap. Ho was a 7 course handicap back then, and is now a 1 on Sunday #roadtoscratch!
Dave will be a +1 this week, and Melberg a +2! We birdied the course to death last time, and I'm thinking -2 (net) gets the victory.
I haven't been out there in two years, but current reviews online say its in decent shape. More importantly, they're charging us like $25.
Tee time is 9am. I don't believe there is a range. Everyone is on the WHITE tees (one set up from tips) for this event. No moving up or back. Be careful on all the drive-able par 4s. Yes, I'm well aware holes #11, #13, and #14 are terrible.
We have one spot open with two MAYBE Members (Troy/Adam). First one to change their RSVP to IN gets the final spot.
See you Sunday.
Where's Travis going?
ReplyDeleteGainsville...you two should start a league in Palatka!
ReplyDeleteThought I was done with course records. We need to go back there every season now.
ReplyDeleteWell hopefully you lose one on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThat didn’t really feel like a Topor course to me so really well done man. The scruffy fairway was pretty weird considering how decent the rest of the conditions were but solid overall for summer.
ReplyDeleteI wasn’t going to play next week because I’m flying up to NY in the afternoon but Chandler assures me that we’ll finish in time for me to make it home so apologies for the special treatment of being placed in group A. And I know my time crunch is not anyone else’s problem but if the other group A guys can be sure to be there on time (cough cough Mike) I’d really appreciate it!
I'm going to miss you guys, and this league, more than you can imagine. I appreciate everyone welcoming me to the group 5-6 seasons ago. Lots of good times, memories, and scores of 95+. I'll make it down to play some rounds in the future, and who knows I may even get the nod to do another Rapture. Thank you again to all of you, and good luck the rest of the season and the seasons to come!
ReplyDelete