Melberg played nearly flawless golf, proving once again that he can win with a low handicap. All he has to do is get out of bed and show up to the course! The most shocking thing of his round was that two of his three bogeys came on par 5s. Congrats to Melberg for also setting a new course record of 73 (gross).
One shot behind was Brendan who only had one implosion on the day, chipping into a cartpath curb on #11. But a great performance nonetheless.
Five people tied for third, which might be a record. Not sure we've ever had five people tie for any position (I know of a 4-way tie for first at Cheval years ago). Most notably of the bunch was Dave, who cancelled a work golf outing to attend once he realized Topor was out for the season and Danny was shopping engagement rings. Dave's control over his own agency paid off, vaulting him into 2nd place.
This is Dave's season to lose, considering those around him on the leader board:
- Topor - Crippled
- Gary - Only consistency is 68 straight tournaments without a win
- Melberg - Missed too many events, so is in a "must win" situation the remainder of the season
- Danny - Very good chance he doesn't even qualify for the Masters due to lack of play
- Gorecki - Tee it Backward has mentally broken him
Someone is going to have to win twice in the remaining four weeks to steal it. We've seen crazier things happen... but there's really no point to even playing the rest of the season. Dave has it locked up.
---------------------------------
The Concussion is this week out at Big Cypress (North) at 10am. We've never played this course officially, but a scouting trip last week was very promising. Here's what we learned:
- Check in at the normal clubhouse. Get carts there.
- If you want to use the range, arrive early. It's a bit of a drive (in golf carts) through the neighborhood to the North Course.
- Greens are very good, but very small. Fairway grass will be lush.
- Layout is solid, but the routing is wild. Gets a little squirrelly in the middle of the property, which you repeatedly return to. Be careful on #12 when hitting driver. There are multiple greens and tees you could spray it to and kill someone.
- No food/drink service on the course... so this is the week to bring a stash of beers. Just make sure the ranger doesn't see it.
- The 5th hole is going to be a huge subject of debate - 130 yards to a blind green over 40+ foot cypress trees. It's amazing.
I think it's "as good" as The Groves. Dave thinks it's "way better." None of the six scouts disliked it. But it is a bit of a drive... to play 2.5 hours worth of golf. Personally, I'm just glad we're going somewhere new to us.
Everyone is on the tips, but here's a scorecard if you're interested.
See you Sunday. Update your RSVPs.
Really solid win Melberg! Those bogeys on the par 5s were all of the good variety, could have easily been doubles or worse for most people. I wish I could have applied more pressure but alas, instead of making good bogeys I find ways to turn easy pars into doubles.
ReplyDeleteGreat win melberg! Chandler hoping to apply the pressure I see lol.
ReplyDelete"The Press" is an equal opportunity pressure applicator.
ReplyDeleteNOT SO FAST!!!
ReplyDelete4 more 2nd place finishes might get er done...Lol...#winsomething
Still hoping Topor threads the needle. I really needed that win to help him since I won’t break 90 anywhere else.
ReplyDeleteI was scoreboard watching and hoping Dave didn’t finish as high as he did!! Congrats on the win Melberg, very nice round!! I had PT today and asked if I could try to tough out some rounds before my surgery and they said it was a hard no. Good luck, but my money is going to be on Dave to lock it up, I agree with Chandlers write up!!!
ReplyDeleteDave sucks at the grove
ReplyDeleteInteresting take since Dave won an event at The Groves and has the course record of 66 (+1 gross at the time... would be even par now).
ReplyDeleteAlso... just for those of you who are actually playing on Sunday... contrary to Danny's implication, we are not playing The Groves this week.
ReplyDeleteRead the entire post. All the words and letters within it. Read it twice if you need to.