Monday, May 13, 2024

The Classic - Summer 2024 Preview

We're back after a seemingly short off-season, but don't forget we had two rain-outs in the Spring that ate into our break.

Since prices come down this time of year, we're going to hopefully play some "better" courses. But not this week!

The last time we played Northdale was February 8th, 2014 (the season of Geoff's first Championship). What was once a staple in our rota got placed on the banned list due to terrible course management and conditions. 
 
Every few years I'd hear rumors of an ownership change, and improvement to the course. I wouldn't take the bait, and eventually it would fall apart. Which sucks as it's one of the most centralized locations to our Members.
 
Out of desperation for "cost effective" options, Faz and I visited last month to scout the course after a fresh batch of "new ownership" rumors. It was good enough for us to attempt to add to the schedule. Unfortunately they were booked with other events, so we couldn't make it happen.

Troy went out there on his own two weeks ago and came to the same conclusion. He was kind enough to book us there on Sunday at 9:39am.

Since it's been over a decade, here are a few things about Northdale:
  • There's no range. They do have some beat up nets and mats.
  • It's going to be a very slow round. At least 4:30 pace. Some of you will be very comfortable!
  • There's lots of water and it's legitimately difficult, averaging +5 net in our League play (which would be about +8 today after the World Handicap changes).
  • I reckon we should give the bar/grill a shot after our round. It's been way too long to have any opinion on it.
  • Long drive on #11

Everyone is on the WHITE tees unless you tell me you want to play the tips. The 55/25 club can play the old man GOLD tees.

 


Pairings have been randomized and posted. We have a couple open spots if any guests want in. We're also still missing Summer Dues from a couple of people... so send those over or let me know if you're taking the season off.

See you Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. I’ll try out the Blue tees. Would be great to get Gorecki out of my group so we don’t play 3 tee boxes (I promise that’s the only reason).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense taken Dan. When playing a fwd tee box I do try to be cognizant by either walking up to my tee box, and staying out of harms way while the others hit, or drive the cart up and ask my cartner if its ok he hitch a ride up with the others.
    Not sure any of this will matter as its been hinted this will be a slow round due the course and the ppl it attracts so we might just be waiting on every tee box anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've probably stabilized a life or two after a gruesome injury or medical complication. Pretty sure you can handle multiple tee boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Along those same lines, I'd argue that we should require Gorecki to play with Dan every round going forward. It might save a life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that Gorecki still walks this Earth is what we refer to as a medical anomaly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John and I once played 36 holes at Northdale in less than 4 hours. I expect the same pace of play on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once played the front nine in 3.5 hours. And had to leave the course at the turn to make a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’ll be a miracle if the first group tees off before 10

    ReplyDelete