Tuesday, September 17, 2024

2 man 2 club tournament Results and Recap

 In a result that surprised everyone, the winning score was -8 Net, and we had a playoff.


What started out as a damp, hot, humid day ended up as a... damp, hot, humid day. Where we saw absolutely zero roll, and a couple of golf balls plugged 6" into the ground you would think that Dave and Geoff, as well as Chandler and Adam would have the advantage having one member both using Driver off the tee but Alas, Dave couldn't putt with a driver, and I don't know what happened to Chandler/Adam in the group behind us.


(I don't know a lot about what happened in the groups behind us but I heard Casey and Troy made a double.... and still mad it to a playoff but we'll get to the playoff later).


Dave and Geoff Came out strong early, with Geoff hitting a 5wood to the front right of the green and rolling in a 50' birdie putt for a solo birdie on #2 (165 yard par 3 into the wind), and then making an incredible up and down on 3 for gross par (net birdie). I somehow was able to patch together a decent tee game, with Faz being the perfect ham to my egg, we used 14/14 of my tee shots on Par 4's and 5's (I had 3 iron/9i Faz had 6i/pw) and I believe we used 3/4 of Faz shots on par 3's, and 13/14 of Faz's shots on the second shot of a par 4/5. At one point the App showed a lopsided score for the first 2 groups at -1 gross (-5 net) and the groups behind us at Even net.


Reality would come quickly crashing to earth for Dave/Geoff when Geoff forgot how to putt from inside 4' going +3 in the first 4 holes of the back 9 after shooting a -1 front 9. Me and Faz held it together to go 36/36 for an even par round (-8 net), an untimely Bogey on 18 paved the way for Casey/Troy to make a birdie for the win, or a par for the tie. We watched helplessly from next to 18 green as Casey hit it short left of the green in 2, then was able to get up and down for a Par to tie at -8 net.


Unlike Dear Leader, I do not like Ties.... So I suggested we go back to 1 north and play a sudden death playoff hole... Unfortunately for me I did not realize that Casey and Troy stroked on 1 north (it wouldn't have been needed) and looked at Faz and said "we are in trouble"... Fear not though, Casey Top hooked the ball to the cart path, and they had to use Troy's 8iron leaving them 370 yards away from the hole, I hit an ok 3i (Faz chose not to hit) and we thought we had a chance.... Until Casey ripped his hybrid leaving them 120ish from the hole, me and Faz hit to about 80 yards out, knowing we would probably need to make a birdie to Push and go to hole 2 (that was playing 165 into the wind). From there Casey hit a great shot to about 20' long and Faz hit it pin high right leaving us 15' (I tried to kill Chandler with a punch 9i aimed right at the crowd long of the hole). Apparently Casey hadn't made a putt all day relying on Troy (who chose 8i/putter), little did we know he was saving it for the end, rolling in a 20' downhill breaking putt for Birdie net eagle and sealing the victory winning $60 each.

That's it for my first (and hopefully last because it was awful) recap.


All in all everybody finished under par net, with Chandler thinking -5 Net would win.... only to shoot -5 Net and finish DFL. Everybody had fun and I'm thinking we will do this again in the next offseason.


See ya'll at the rapture!


Edit: There's a joke somewhere about Dave going 0-6 with DOD being worse than my Ho and 3 at my last rapture but I forgot to put it in. But anyway, Dave and DOD probably shouldn't go together again, apparently Chandler was 2 of 6 with his DOD

5 comments:

  1. I've read way worse recaps.

    Was a fun format to attempt to shape some shots out there. I'm not sure everyone would enjoy it. Some of you need all your clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your first recap!

    The format was definitely fun and challenging. Using my 5-wood for a whole round definitely gave me more confidence with it versus using it once a round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I had lost all confidence in my 3 iron until Having to use it off the tee every hole. Immediately gained that confidence back. You were smoking that 5wood all day

      Delete
  3. OMG...when I saw that Ho wrote this I thought that we were going to get everyone's stroke by stroke recap...lol. Good job Ho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, my shots didn't matter, I just needed to put us in the fairway for Faz to do all the rest of the work. Only hole where shot by shot is ever important for a recap was a playoff.

      Delete