10:00am
$98
Long Drive on #12 (par 4)
It's been three long years since we've played Waterlefe, due to re-built greens and a closed clubhouse. It's a daunting course, but still beloved by most... and hated by a few. Usually your perception is dictated by past performance, but not so at the Lefe. Geoff told me he liked it and typically plays well there... until we looked up the gross scores of his 11 rounds:
99, 106, 103, 102, 98, 103, 112, 114, 105, 105, 99
That's quite shit.
But he still enjoys the course because it's so visually different.
I've written about Waterlefe for over a decade, so there's no dead horse left to beat. But I did find a post back in Summer 2012 (our first season of stroke-play) with a link to a Deal Caddy coupon allowing us to play there for $20 with BOGO beers in the clubhouse! The standard rack rate then was $35 without the coupon.
America will never be that great again.
Anyway, Waterlefe is actually ranked average in the difficulty index — with a median net score to par of +4. Chandler (that's me!) dominates this course, never finishing worse than 4th in 8 events. But Casey has actually won the last three tournaments held there. Thankfully for us, he's not playing. Reid has finished T5, 2, T1 in those events... so he's also a threat.
For the new guys or you dumb-dumbs who have terrible memories... ride with your opponent. Putt everything out (as usual). Use the hole handicaps on the scorecard... don't trust what I have on the blog as it might be different.
Here are the current match-ups (with strokes at 80%) :
Melberg vs. Topor (14) - First time ever playing each other.
Billy (4) vs. Geoff - First time ever playing each other.
Troy (6) vs. Chandler - First time ever playing each other.
Gary vs. Brendan - Gary won their only match back in 2014! (1 up)
Moostie (1) vs. Buchert - First time ever playing each other.
Marcus (8) vs. Dave - First time ever playing each other.
John vs. Ghost Topor (6) - They've never played each other, but the result will only count for John.
Faz (3) vs. Ghost Chandler - Chandler leads 1-0-1, but the result will only count for Faz.
I'll continue to update the above if the roster changes. Bring guests to fill the missing spots.
See you Sunday.
18 holes for $20 and Bogo beers? What a time it was to be alive.
ReplyDeleteMy scores there are scary! I will do my best to post a new Waterlefe low for myself. If I don't, I can enjoy buying non-BOGO pitchers.
ReplyDeletei'll play blue
ReplyDeleteReduces strokes given to Topor to 14
DeleteTo be fair, John smoked himself. I played like shit and got lucky that he developed the s words early in the round.
ReplyDeleteHe's gonna smoke himself again Sunday.
Delete