Sunday, August 17, 2025

FBGC Masters - Summer 2025 Recap

Lots to get to so let's just dive in...
 
Billy played out of his mind for 17 holes at the Roost, shooting 83 (gross) with three birdies in the first five holes. Thanks to a dart on 17, the final hole didn't matter for the season standings. Right on cue, Billy expertly ejected to protect his Rapture handicap: pulled tee shot into the water, aimed at the wrong green after a drop (10th instead of 18), chunked a chip (maybe two, I had to turn away), and carded an 8.
 
This gave Crum the Major victory, his second as well as his second ever win. He's basically our Brooks Koepka. Outside of the first hole where Crum was questioning his decision to play the 6,931 green tees, he was a much more patient player than usual. There was a meltdown at the par-3 8th as well... but the 24 strokes was just too many to tumble down the leader board. Crum could have easily shot -10 (net) or better.
 
Many of us were gutted for Melberg who pulled the emergency escape slide on 12 and 13 — going +7 (gross) in that stretch. He undoubtedly feels like he let the season get away... and technically he did, losing by a mere 40 points (a new record low margin, previously held by Dave over Topor by 100 points). Had Melberg shot just two less at Cabot Citrus, he'd finish T5 on the day with an extra 46.3 points. Enough to win his 2nd Cup!
 
There's so many "what-ifs" we could do. Melberg missed the first event... but Billy missed two. Billy only beat Geoff 1UP at Match Play... so one stroke there would have changed history. And Melberg could have won if he didn't double the final hole at Waterlefe. Every stroke counts!
 
But alas... we have a new and deserving Champion! Congrats on some great golf, Billy!
 
Our 14th Champion

 
----------------------------------------
 
Roost was a much better course than Karoo. I believe some of you want to go see for yourself while the $135 rate is still going on. I'll set up a date for us in September (since Gorecki is legit useless).
 
Roost is just more straight-forward and less tricked-up. The green complexes are difficult, but fair. And some of the holes are actually better than the old Rolling Oaks versions. I still don't think they needed to nuke the property to achieve this, but that's also more of an issue on Karoo.
 
I do feel their FL resident "deal" is on the edge of acceptable. Any more, and I'd be very hesitant to book us there.
 
I also don't like how Roost blended their T/S combo tees... but it is what it is. Some holes were too short, but others were long. I'd probably swap 6 of them and it would add 10 yards overall and seem more "fair." But in the eyes of the USGA, it wouldn't matter as we still need to traverse the same distance (think of the course as one long hole). Par is a social construct in that sense. When "par" was first conceptualized (late 1890s), a lot of courses had half-par holes (ie: 4.5). There were a bunch of 4.5 pars out there.
 
That being said... we could technically create our own blend and use the same slope/rating. Part of me wants no part of attempting to implement this (people fucking it up or complaining about my selections etc). But it's an option if we ever go back to Roost.
 
The new Board will sort it out.
 
----------------------------------------
 
Four of the five guys opting to play the Green tees finished in the top-5. Melberg could have easily been there if not for the aforementioned blow-up holes. It's nice to see the guys who took a risk be rewarded.
 
Overall, the course played "easy." Even Danny shot a 95, which would have been good enough for T3 (with no affect on the overall season standings).
 
----------------------------------------
 
The World Golf Rankings are updated. If you're in the top 12, go ahead and send me $50 if you're attending the Rapture (October 9th to 12). Much more on this soon (handicaps, draft, etc).
 
----------------------------------------
 
And finally... Troy had some really kind words for me on his way out. Basically showing appreciation for the Club, and probably trying to get me to draft him in the Rapture. I told him that I do all this because it's the only way I can get you people to hang out with me.
 
We just finished our 29th season, across 15 years! A lot of shit doesn't last that long, including the kickball league(s) where many of us met. 
 
During that time we've played 3,338 rounds, bought 719 bad pitchers, and hacked up 85 different courses. 
 
So hopefully you people are having as much fun as I am. If not... you're doing something wrong.
 
Some guys mostly doing it right.
  

3 comments:

  1. Another fun season in the books. Congrats Billy on your championship! I think everyone enjoyed Roost and thought the vale was good given the excellent conditions and opportunities to shoot low. As soon as we drain the swamp and upgrade the board, it will get even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dear Leader and Geoff. Thank you to everyone that celebrated at WoB. Thank you to everyone that texted me that was not there on 18 to watch me revert to my old self. Thank you to everyone that cheered and/or puked watching me limp onto the 18th green. Thank you to Troy and Reid for hyping me up the entire round. Thank you to Chris for the gracious congrats on the 18th tee. I finally felt comfortable to answer, for the 5th time since The Hangover, where we were having dinner.

    This was a battle I was not anticipating winning. Melberg was dialed at Crescent Oaks. If not for a pesky pine tree on #12 we'd have a different winner.

    Last, I want to echo Troy's sentiment and thank you again, Dear Leader. It's a silly thing really, to be excited about winning a beat-to-shit-cup against 22 other decent to bad golfers. But my hands were shaking over every putt on the back 9. I was dreading a post about how I choked because I three putted from 5 feet on #7. Without your hard work golf wouldn't be nearly as fun just taking $20 from a Sunday Nassau. DPT Cup points, WGR and Chandler bucks might not mean shit to anyone else. But It's still real to me dammit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvd3aEsThbc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love writing a good post about choking. And you took that away from me!

      Delete