Monday, March 2, 2026

The Championship - Spring 2026 Recap

We've all seen Tall Mike do "Tall Mike Things." Nothing will ever top his 4th Championship - in Summer 2020 - when he holed out a birdie 2 from 50 yards on the par-3 15th hole, to ultimately win the event and steal the title from Gorecki.
 
But yesterday was filled with things nearly as miraculous. Multiple times he was staring a double bogey in the face, only to make a par. He shot a 39 on the back with a quad, after going -1 (gross) on the final seven holes. While there were a few lucky bounces... most of it was due to an outstanding short game... almost holing out from multiple chips, pitches, and bunker shots.
 
All of this while suffering through the worst I've ever seen his back pain/issues. Most people would have WD'd. 
 
Despite being near the top of the leader board all day - and shooting a new course record 79 - Chandler couldn't do anything to make this season more competitive.
 
Moostie's four wins now ties him with Buchert (2022 Summer), Darren (2015 Spring), Faz (2014 Summer), and Chandler (2013 Spring) with most victories in a season.
 
Everyone except Chandler is now mathematically eliminated - and we still have 3 tournaments to go. Not sure we've ever seen such a top heavy leader board.
 
--------------------------------
 
Hunter's Green was exceptional as expected. Fast but receptive greens. More grass in fairways than most places we've seen this time of year. And the price ($80) was a great value.
 
Unfortunately the members playing in front of us had a 4:50 pace. There's not much we can do about that - as we're forced to tee off after blocked member play.
 
But we should consider going there more often (as long as they'll have us). Hammer that comment button and let us know your thoughts on HG.
 
--------------------------------
 
The Hangover is this Sunday at Diamond Hill (9:30am). More on this later... but the party is scheduled for Saturday night at Tampa Bay Brewing Company in Odessa. The Westchase group selected this location, and Gorecki is requesting a headcount to reserve tables.
 
Tell us in the comments if you're attending, and if you're bringing anyone.
 
Everyone who makes an appearance is entered into the Hangover side-pot on Sunday. 

8 comments:

  1. I'll be at the "party" on Saturday as a single. The wife has a fancy charity even that I'm skipping to hang out with you people (or at least the 4 that show up).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie and I will attend the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like beer and hate family responsibilities. Changing my status to single and ready to mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should be there. I’ll be solo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be there for a little bit solomio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Troy texted he'll be there solo and I will as well. That brings the current RSVP list to 8. He asked for a head count by Thursday evening so i appreciate the responses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No the current RSVP is 10:

    Chandler, Gary+1, Marcus, Faz, Ho+1, Moostie, Troy, Gorecki.

    ReplyDelete