Monday, March 9, 2026

The Hangover - Spring 2026 Recap

The season continues as our 2nd best Champion of all time — Moostie — failed to secure enough points to lock up his 5th title. There were a couple of egregious course management mistakes on his part, but a lot of his struggles were on Diamond Hills new, but un-mown, greens.
 
Those were insanely frustrating, because you had to hammer putts (and I do mean hammer) to even have a chance of making. Balls would easily stop above the hole if you were defensive. But the severe undulations created a risk of running a putt 8 feet by, giving you comeback putt you'd have to uncomfortably smash.

The rest of DH was fine, conditioning-wise. The rough was manageable, the fairways had green stuff on them, and there wasn't much hardpan if you stayed away from the (overgrown) tree lines. I don't think we should avoid this course, but it definitely should be on the list of places we visit sporadically. The biggest complaint was the cost, leading to the perception of low "value." Unfortunately, value is subjective, and Diamond Hill is one of the few courses under $100 at the moment.

It was a great set-up for Troy, who has been battling debilitating back pain all season. As a man who usually has control of his ball, he was able to overcome five double-bogeys to shoot even (net) and win.

Gary also played well most of the day, as he's starting to find his driver again. It was always his biggest weapon throughout his golfing life, so he could be dangerous in the Rapture later this year.

Chandler finished T3 with some pretty atrocious wedge play.
 
Faz and Ho became Blue Buddies and posted "meh" scores of +4 (net).

Marcus dominated the first half of the day, reaching -4 (net) at some point before reverting to his factory settings on the back.
 
Geoff had a rough six hole stretch to fall out of contention.

And Gorecki ignited the betting markets with a 10 on the 9th hole, earning another course record, and failed to make a par (28 active hole streak).
 
We had a fun time the night before as well, with some complementary shots and pints provided by TBBC:


 
Tequila and Bourbon

----------------------------------------
 
We're off next week for "Spring Break." I get asked about this bye-week a lot... and all I can say is that you people complained that travel with your kids should be built into the schedule. Now you other people complain that we have a random bye week for no reason. I'm not sure if all the people who needed the break quit... but as the least needy person in the Club, I'm observant enough to know some of you need bye-weeks in general.

We're back in two weeks at Big Cypress. I'm officially reducing the field to 16 people. We have 15 signed up right now, so the next person to get in on the RSVP sheet gets the last spot. 
 
----------------------------------------
 
Finally, we had some continued talk (kvetching?) about the rise of greens fees. I obviously track this shit, so I might as well share it:



Recap of this season, by price (includes tax):

Lake Jovita - $118 
Calusa CC - $102 (potentially) 
Diamond Hill - $91
Hunter's Green - $78 
Scepter - $75
Lexington Oaks - $73 
Big Cypress - $69 (scheduled)
Hernando Oaks - $65 
Countryway - $29
 
As always, I very much welcome any "we should play [course name]" commentary, so I can explain why we don't/didn't.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment