At the end of each season we always review one of my favorite things in golf: rules. While we basically play by the "Rules of Golf" as determined by the USGA and R&A, there are a couple of exceptions. Yesterday Faz suggested we adopt a few more changes to help eliminate some dicey situations.
Starting in 2014 (and today in all exhibition matches):
- Embedded balls will get free relief "through the green." This is actually a rule adopted by the PGA Tour... but not recognized by the governing bodies of golf (yet). In all levels of golf, you always get a free drop from an embedded ball in the fairway, green, tee box or any other "closely mown area." But only on certain golf tours (and certain courses) do you get a free drop from a ball embedded anywhere not in a hazard (ie: the rough). Next season we'll allow you to take a free drop if your ball is embedded, unless it's in a bunker or other marked hazard.
- Move your ball out of a footprint in a bunker. I'm not sure how often this happens... but if you find your ball in a footprint, just move it out to a smooth spot. Or rake it and replace your ball. However, you can't do this if your ball is plugged in the bunker.
- Remove any rocks near your ball in a bunker. There's no need to scuff up your club... just make sure your lie remains unchanged.
- Balls in a fairway divot can get free relief. I honestly think in the next 10 years the PGA Tour will adopt this rule anyway. You shouldn't be penalized for finding a fairway.
------------------------
We now have three seasons in the books and I think the points system is decent. Four people were in the running at the last tournament, so I don't think we need any changes to the payout and cut schedule.
Pretty sure I've violated the rule of embedded ball since I assumed we followed that rule already. I'm in agreement with all other rule changes. I will be able to show my face in next seasons league.
ReplyDeleteYeah we figured it happened sometimes. Especially the "divot in fairway" rule. But at least now we've stated on paper (or... pixels?) that it's OK.
ReplyDelete