Sunday, May 31, 2015

Geoff Skins Game - Summer 2015 Recap

I was pleasantly surprised at the conditions of the Forest Course this past weekend. The greens and fairways were in great shape, and thankfully the course was dry. Thanks again, Gorecki, for booking us out there.

But what was shocking was how well everyone played on the long and hazard-filled layout. Three-quarters of the league shot under net-par. For the second week in a row we had someone buy a "good" pitcher for shooting -10 or better. And with 6 holes to play there were about seven people who had a realistic chance of winning.

But in the end, it was Reid who prevailed with a long overdue victory. He shot +2 (gross) on the final six holes to beat a crowded leader board and win his first event in his last 20 attempts. Perhaps he's finally out of the "just had a baby" slump? His three birdies on the day might be a record in league play, and he's now tied for the 2nd lowest net score in a tournament.

Four other guys had two birdies on the day, and the 13 birdies in total might also be a record. Very surprising on a course that is by no means "easy."

Buchert and Chandler both scrambled for par on the final hole to finish 2nd. And then there's The Baron... who wasn't able to collect his weekly tax due to the skins format. He finished 2nd as well and now has the most insane handicap chart in the history of the world.

How is this possible?

 -------------------------------------------------

Big John apparently didn't write down the Ryder Cup date, and won't be joining us this year due to a conflict. And since Geoff bailed this weekend, he can't qualify in the Top 12 rankings due to lack of tournaments played (less than 8 in last 18). Therefore the 12 automatic qualifiers are basically set weeks before the rankings were going to lock.

In a few weeks I'm going to post payment instructions. I've already pre-paid for the Ryder Cup lodging. Everyone will have a set period of time to get me their payment, and after that time expires I'll open it up to the alternates.

-------------------------------------------------

Next week we play up at Southern Hills, Sunday June 7th at 10:30am. I'm assuming all 12 from last tournament are IN, as well as Dan and his dad making a guest appearance. I'm also assuming Tall Mike will be back with us. This gives us one spot open for Dave or Geoff. Comment if any of you won't be making the event.

10 comments:

  1. I recall having 4 birdies @ Countryway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. Summer 2014 Gorecki Memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad aka Doug has an established 22 handicap. Can he be in the money?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He on GHIN?

    You playing from the tips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what he uses. I think the league he plays in just calculates his handicap. He's been in the league for like 2 years though so it should be accurate.

    I'm going to play the gold tees this time. See if I can get a decent round in for once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blah... That's not really up to our standard of handicap accuracy. Haha.

    He's definitely in for greenies, long drive, sandies. Obviously not in for points.

    How about I pair you two vs me and my dad, and we use his handicap for a team game side-bet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Provided I'm not kidnapped in Rio in the next few days or injured in a hangliding accident I'm overly excited to play Southern Hills again. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In regards to "The Barons" dramatic plunge in handicap, all I have to say is it's about DAMN time. Maybe some of us mortals can win a major now. Trying to play like the Tiger of old days this week. Just play and win at the majors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing what happens when you stop hitting tee shots out of bounds. I'll never win again.....

    ReplyDelete