Good rule of thumb: when Gorecki opens his mouth to speak, just say "no."
Dave is probably one victory away from an insurmountable lead. Catching him seems about as difficult as putting a man on the moon. But our great country has done so six different times: Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 (don't worry about what happened on 13). So who will step up and rip the championship away from his cold, Earthly hands?!?
Prediction
Katie is going to win again this week. Her handicap is still pretty high and the course isn't filled with penalty strokes. If she plays smart, bogey golf... nobody else stands a chance. Geoff finishes 2nd with a round in the low 90s. Faz and Chandler battle it out for DFL and both buy pitchers.
------------------------------------------------------
After much discussion and complaints in previous seasons that the Hangover bar should not be mandatory, now some of you people are pretending that you didn't take that stance and want it to be mandatory again. I'm not falling for it. Show up this Saturday night at
And don't do so because it's mandatory... do so because we're a fun group of people and it's nice to go out and be social twice a year. We have too many people to force attendance, but we don't have too many to socially shame those who bitch out.
------------------------------------------------------
There are 16 people who have reported IN for the Rapture on the weekend of August 18th. Black Diamond is already reserved for that Sunday. Next step is to book a couple of houses on AirBnB.
While I don't have a problem bumping up the field to 16 people... we're still going to go through the qualifying process. There's plenty of time for someone to back out or Faz to get back in (hopefully he does). Rankings will LOCK after Week 3 of next season. So keep an eye on where you stand and keep that weekend open. Remember, we're playing FRIDAY through SUNDAY, August 18-20.
Geoff brought up a missed bar penalty. I don't like adding strokes to scores due to historical purposes... but we probably could reduce strokes from your handicap. Like two or something.
ReplyDeleteBut then does that apply to guys like JW who are honoring the spirit of the event out in Ybor on a parade float? Or when Buchert did his part on an airplane? Or when Gorecki didn't want to drive his large truck in the rain, despite Dave who lived further away doing so?
There needs to be a consistent policy as to when we apply a penalty.
I'm banking on Katie to do an apollo 13 this Sunday
ReplyDeleteHouston, she has a drinking problem.
ReplyDeleteI'll send y'all snapchats of the float party. I'm no carb-ing it right now to crash diet for the wedding, so I'll be on vodka all night long. I might need to get a ride to the course on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteTrue about my drinking problem....although this week everyone will be hungover YAY so we will be on even playing field and we will all have racing hearts and jittery bizarre MISSES with driver...right? I hope your prophecy is correct. I also hope Dave doesn't have too many birdies and therefore doesn't annoy his cartner. Also Dave, we will need snacks. Also HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
ReplyDeleteI will not be there on Saturday, not that I don't want to hangout with the cool kids. One look at my logo and you can understand why, Good Luck Katie.
ReplyDeleteI will stock up!! I'll be happy once chandler or mike doesn't take the trophy home this session!!
ReplyDeleteI believe there are individuals that are of a certain moral character, for better or worse, that can be trusted to adhere to the spirit of the Hangover Invitational even if they are not present for the Saturday night festivities. JW would fall into that category, IMO.
ReplyDeleteGetting drunk is a game of honor.
ReplyDeleteWe're going to need extra fruit cups and bananas Dave! Along with an IV bag for JW after his no-carb drinking experiment turns out worse than that 13 mission. We all know JW is the master of playing well in the Hangover, hence the tourney getting 'dubbed' after him, but if he pulls this one off then the JW Hangover Invitational trophy should be a 24x48 portrait of his likeness that the future winners should be required to take home and hang up in their homes.
ReplyDeleteI motion for the league and our almighty and benevolent dictator to move this to a vote (or an authoritarian ruling) this Saturday evening.
I also agree with Buchert's sentiments about certain folks having the moral fortitude and being of a certain character that they can be trusted to drink their part if they can't make it. Those lacking that capacity should be required to send in photographic or video evidence of their alcoholic beverage domination that same evening to avoid the dreaded penalty.
Yeah we should also debate said penalty, if we even impose one, on Saturday for future events. One thing I'd suggest, is just lowering the handicap for those that can't make the bar and still want to golf. With exceptions given for those who uphold the honor of the event.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'd say a 10% reduction in handicap is fair. Two strokes for those at 20, one for those at 10, 3 for Gorecki.
But this would apply to future events. This year we're rolling with what we got.
I was penalized three shots for showing up late to this event a couple years ago. Now we're talking about making it optional? Hell no! You don't show, you don't play for points.
ReplyDeleteDon't you mean you TOOK three shots. Like alcohol. We didn't add three shots to your score.
ReplyDeleteMaybe if you don't show you have to take as many shots or shotgun as many beers as strokes you'd have lost.
ReplyDeleteTrue. We could do on course penalty shots the next morning.
ReplyDelete20% handicap penalty
ReplyDeleteProbably the best idea
ReplyDeleteYes, I meant I took 3 shots which is what caused our poor Cup to gain additional character.
ReplyDelete