Good afternoon fellow and aspiring DPT League Members! With the poor blog activity lately, I figured I'd throw a quick post together about my favorite league event: The Rapture. Since we have one of the best weekends of the year coming up in only three weeks and the draft coming up on Sunday, I thought I'd put together a mock draft to help Katie and Gary think through their picks.
It'll be the only Rapture most of y'all will be chosen for since the majority of league members are heathens. Even if I didn't actually qualify for this one, at least I know I'll be good when Jesus comes back with his horses.
1-1 Katie's Boy Toys - Brian Buchert
Buchert sits tied with Geoff atop Dub's Rapture Rankings (DRR) and his team is undefeated in his three appearances. Although prone to spilling Gatorade on couches and/or bleeding from the head, Brian is a solid first pick. Mostly, though, Katie just wants to make sure he'll be riding in her cart all weekend.
1-2 Gary's Glasses - John Webermeier
Big John goes second so Gary can ensure no one tries to fight him when he inevitably does something untoward at the bar on Friday or Saturday night. The MVP of the Scotland trip, Big John will provide change in whichever currency you desire and has lots of stories about South Africa. Despite sitting low in the DRR, John's game is solid right now.
2-1 Gary's Glasses - Chandler Brown
After seeing the chemistry between the Goreckis and those magical rounds on the Old Course, Gary is going to try to recreate the father/son mojo with the Brown clan. Expect a ton of gimmes in the rounds these two play together, as it is the father's right to give 15 footers for par. I think that's the 15th rule of golf, but I'm not sure since only the Gorecki's snuck off to see them at Muirfield.
2-2 Katie's Boy Toys - David Harrington
Katie wants the long hitters on her team, even if Dave is playing well above his handicap right now. She also knows Dave will have plenty of snacks, Magner's, and sunscreen in case anyone else forgets.
3-1 Katie's Boy Toys - Greg Gleason
More long hitters. It's like a train of them. The first unofficial league member to be taken, Greg has the ability to play up to the competition. He also has the ability to play like Gorecki and almost hit people. Katie's banking on the good parts of his game shining through in August.
3-2 Gary's Glasses - Darren Broom
Gary's going for consistency here: consistency of putts, approaches, and drips. Darren's game plays well until he runs out of cigarettes and the hangover hits Sunday morning. Sitting low in the DRR, this is more of a skill pick than a past performance pick. Gary must think he can match him up with a player that has attributes that mesh well with Drippy. Like owning a towel company.
4-1 Gary's Glasses - Geoff Leighly
Speaking of consistency, Geoff's handicap is consistently high. I know this because I often have to say "I'm the worst player in the league other than Gorecki," but sometimes, now for example, I get to say the second worst because I sneak ahead of Geoff. Ranked atop the DRR, this is a solid pick. Perhaps he'll bring an extra towel and pair with Darren over the weekend? Also, Geoff is one of three players to never be on the losing team in this event.
4-2 Katie's Boy Toys - Robbie Wilson
I'd been talking to Robbie about joining for some time now, but it was Katie that finally pushed him into the league. Robbie's handicap is pretty low right now, but he can put up scores as consistent as his haircut. Party Robot will be able to handle the rigors of the drinking regimen easily, too.
5-1 Katie's Boy Toys - Mike Oostenbrink
The last past champion off the board, Katie will be hoping Tall Mike can recapture his 2016 form. Tall Mike is in the middle of the pack in the DRR, although before he was a captain last year he performed pretty well in the event. He's clearly not a great leader with his team falling by the largest margin in event history last year.
5-2 Gary's Glasses - J.W. Ferguson, II
Gary would like his team's victory recorded with style, so he's picking his favorite blog contributor. He's probably also referenced the DRR and seen that this is an absolute steal this late in the draft. The only three time champion of the Rapture, Dub's the best teammate you can possibly have. Hell, he won alternate shot with Gorecki last year! Gorecki! Unfortunately for Gary, Dub's handicap has slipped a little too low to be truly valuable, but maybe he can scrap some shots and help a teammate win on one of the first two days.
6-1 Gary's Glasses - Robert Reid
By this point in the draft, Reid will be sulking in the corner because he hasn't been picked yet. He needs to know which color midriff shirt to buy and this delay is making him really antsy. Reid's best attribute for Gary's team will be his eyesight and ball hunting prowess since his captain can't see.
6-2 Katie's Boy Toys - Mike Hauch
Katie wants to bring some more youth to the team, so she's going uber-millenial with this pick, assuming he finally pays Chandler. With the second lowest handicap of the competition, Mike is going to need to make some big shots to win.
7-1 Katie's Boy Toys - hmmm.. who did I forget... OH!! Brendan Donoghue
I knew there would be 7 rounds and that Gorecki would go last, but I got this point and ran out of people. Then I remembered that new guy Brendan. Nice guy, and if we knew more about him I'm sure he'd have been picked higher.
7-2 Gary's Glasses - Mike Gorecki
Gorecki has gone last in every draft thus far, and it won't change this year. He'll surely be paired with Dub in alternate shot again, so maybe he can get one point this year. Gorecki's biggest weapon is his golf ball, which can hit people.
There you have it, folks. It'll be Katie, Buchert, Dave, Greg, Robbie, Tall Mike, Mike Ho, and Brendan against Gary, Big John, Chandler, Darren, Geoff, Dub, Reid, and Gorecki. Smart pick is Gary's team since he was wise enough to draft the only three time champ.
Feel free to duff some of your own picks. Looking forward to Sunday.
Excellent as always. I'll mock a draft tomorrow. But it won't be as quality as this. Can't be done.
ReplyDeleteWith those picks it would be more like #GarysSpectacles
ReplyDeleteI am hoping to be drafted by the other team's captain, so I can see the agony of defeat on my opponent's face after losing, Up 4 with 5 to go and lose by 1;will we see a golf cart in the lake this year? Gorecki held that alternate shot team together to get that win last year. #Jaminate #rankingsdontmatter
ReplyDeleteNo golf cart flipping. I'm pretty zen these days, bro.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff dubs, the Cuba government didn't block the post so it must all be true
ReplyDeleteI wasn't picked last! Yay! And chandler I have cold hard cash for y sunday
ReplyDelete^Cold and dirty..freshly dug up from the back yard.
ReplyDeleteExcellent analysis Dub!