Wednesday, February 16, 2022

The Concussion - Spring 2022 Recap

I guess Casey isn't going to write his own recap... so here we go:

Countryway was honestly in good shape. One of these days I'll create a graphic to define these very scientific terms... like "good" and "decent." But some time away from the course definitely paid off. And despite a few mix-ups at the grill (mainly people claiming the wrong order), the experience was a fun one. Awesome to see so many people hanging out and enjoying $7 (or $6?) pitchers.

Thankfully the course is so brutal handicap-wise that most of the purchased pitchers were replenished. We still have 9 in the clip!

This was the first time we played Countryway post the handicap calculation changes in 2020, which should have added 4 strokes to everyone's score. Sure enough... our previous meidan-to-net-par was 3... and on Sunday it was 7.

Casey's 5-stroke victory was not the largest margin in Countryway history (John won by 6 in Spring 2015), but it was the most impressive given the size of the field has now doubled. It's also his second victory at this course — winning previously in 2018 with an Index 3.5 points higher! Damn, I guess some of us do improve over time. Casey is now tied with Troy for the most ever (3) Concussion victories.

Other shit I noticed:

- Gorecki needs to go to GolfMoffitt
- Troy had 4 birdies (!) and lost by 6
- JW's collapse on 18 to fall into pitcher territory sounded rough
- Dave is going to top-5 his way to his first Championship, and half the former Champs will skip whatever vegan restaurant he chooses
- I need to also do an analysis of Danny's starts vs. Geoff's finishes

Overall an enjoyable day. Congrats to Casey. Sorry we forgot the big check.



---------------------------------------------------------------

We're off this week since we didn't need our built-in Make Up. Nine of you were "out" anyway, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm hoping it's a product of you people looking at the schedule, and wisely planning activities with the WAGs around it.

In any case, I got two spots open for this Sunday (more info below).

I've been working hard on our next two events, and have been a bit disappointed in my search. Most places are refusing to offer any group discounts, with rates for some of our old staples eclipsing $150. Not happening on my watch! My apologies to those of you who hate money.

For Match Play (Feb 27th), we'll be at Club Renaissance at 9:40am. Greens fees are $70-ish.

The following week the FBGC Championship (Mar 6th) will be at Big Cypress at 10:00am. Greens fees $51ish.

Both courses are allegedly in great shape.

Now... back to this Sunday: the two spots I have open are for Big Cypress at 11:07am. So if you want to preview the next Major course, make a comment below.

The rest of you enjoy your weekend.

8 comments:

  1. I thought it was wild that Dave made par on all 11 of the 3s but then I got to Casey’s stats and realized he was one under on the 3s! And then I thought Brendan’s improvement from +12 on the front to +4 on the back was impressive until I got to Crum and saw that he went from +17!!! on the front to +3 on the back, including a birdie on the hardest hole (14) on the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I impressed myself. Nothing worked on the front to holy shit golf is fun on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost holed out the second shot on 14. After all those shots on the front I was almost totally redeemed on one hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasnt aware or even had the authorization to do a writeup. On a different note i would like to see in the courses tab 2 more data lines to include the lowest and highest gross score attained at each course if possible.not for each person, but shot in league play. Our own version of course records in league if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t personally track it by course but I do have a sheet for career and season low gross scores relative to par.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm… I could probably do that. Gotta remove the BGR column anyway…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave’s vegan body will begin to deteriorate as the season progresses.

    ReplyDelete