Monday, August 22, 2022

Jamaican Open - Summer 2022 Recap

Buchert did the impossible, overcoming a high-handicappers paradise to win his fourth event of the season. Although... I'd argue Buchert is now a high-handicapper, compared to his potential skill level. The fact his Index got up to 15.9 before the start of this season should have been (and probably was... I'd have to go re-read old posts) a glaring red-flag that he's prime to add his name on the Cup. 
 
Assuming we're still putting names on the Cup. The status of it is not quite clear.

What's also not clear was who actually won the event yesterday. Some of you may have noticed Buchert and Moostie tied... since that's what the app said (and still says). Alas, they discovered a scoring error after finalizing their round.

GolfGameBook recently made it so I can't change scores in other groups. Their solution is to just "move yourself into their group." Well that doesn't work if they click the "end round" button. So don't ever click that.

Anyway, excellent run by Buchert, who is skipping our final event. He's now the fourth Member to win 4 events in a season (w/ Chandler, Faz, and Darren). All previously won the Championship. And yet... Buchert may still lose it.

Troy needs to finish solo-1st or a two-way tie for 1st to steal it away. This will be quite difficult at OCN (Crooked Cat). Troy finished solo-4th the one time we played it, shooting a respectable -4 (net) and still losing by ten freaking strokes!

Here's hoping for some excitement, but either way we're getting a deserving Champion who won despite skipping 33% of our events.

----------------------------------

We're under contract this week. So if you're going to bail, update the RSVP now. If you're on the list and don't show up, we'll be charging you $75ish. Same goes for your guests.

Tee time in Orlando is 9:27am. Get there early to warm up.

See you Sunday!
 
Update:

Course has changed since we were last there. There is a Orange/Green (6,515) and Green/White (6,020) combo.

Below is the old Scorecard from their website, which may give you an idea bout ORANGE and GREEN tees. Everyone is on GREEN/WHITE combo. If you want to move back, let me know.



12 comments:

  1. 14.9 index to start the season rather than 15.9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great win Brian. Never easy to win when you know you have to. I can’t believe a 4 time winner doesn’t have the cup mathematically locked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 wins are impressive, did I hear this was a promise to your daughter?

    Congratulations digitally, will we have a zoom call to present the cup? It looks great on camera

    I’ve been looking at “value” handicaps for rapture and Buchard would be high on that list, he got 18 strokes from the back tees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be out Sunday. If an answer is needed now then I am out. I should officially know on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only promised Hannah a victory for the first tournament of the year at Fox Hollow. Luckily, that was the only time she asked. I double bogeyed three of the first holes, so the pressure got to me a little bit at the start.

    I kind of like Troy's chances this weekend. I don't think Gary is going to fire a 73 again, so the winning score should be more manageable. If Troy decides he doesn't want to give strokes away by putting one handed with the flag in the other hand, he can score low now that he has a driver he hits well off the tee. Two majors and a dominant 7 and 5 match play victory over the second place finisher would be a hell of a season. Plus, it's Troy. I don't think there is anyone in the league that I would rather lose to. Hopefully you all get some decent weather.

    I still can't believe that Gary shot a 73 last time we played out there. Hell of a round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shot 88 and 87 on subsequent rounds so I'm pretty sure the field is safe...I used up my remaining lifetime of available Gypsy Magic that day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't there a story in the Old Testament about sacrificing your son to the Lord in order to get your golf game back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Nothing is more endangered in the modern world than the powerful combination of hard work toward meaningful goals joined with an exuberant embrace of the present moment.”

    — Old Tom Morris

    In other words..."A blind squirrel can find a nut!"
    - Mr. Magoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to Crum on becoming the first ever 24th ranked golfer in our rankings. I was able to sneak in at 23 now that I have the ten required events. I’m getting lessons before next season and promising kids I’ll win tournaments. Those things seem to help people lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might be more pressure on Crum than Troy this week. If he gets blanked he’ll be the first person to ever garner zero points with playing at least 5 events.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that’s a crazy stat 😆

    ReplyDelete
  12. With it being a month since he last played according to his score reporting, I bet he breaks 90. The good way. On all 18.

    ReplyDelete