Wagwan, fellow golfers?
The early morning shotgun start at a fairly "unkempt" Lake Jovita is in the books, with Dear Leader (me!) winning for the first time in 12 events.
I could go into great detail about how courageous of a performance it was, keeping the wheels on after a triple on #1. Or how I overcame the adversity of being chased by Reid and Dave... the former attempting to win his national open... and both desperately fighting for King and Country.
I could talk about the back-to-back birdies on 10 and 11, with additional birdie lip-outs (kinda) on 12 and 13. Or blasting the actual flag (and flag stick) with a bad chip on 14, which saved at least one stroke. Or the 30+ foot putt for par on 16 after I thought I choked the event away.
I could also point out the victory was my record-extending 6th Jamaican Open championship.
A lesser man would tell these stories about himself... but not me. As a man of the people, I know why you're really here.
- Gary has now tied JW for the most consecutive tournaments without a victory (61).
- Adam got very close to adding his name to the list of people who have withdrawn at the turn. Off the top of my head, those who have walked off a course (for bad play and/or "other" concerns) are: JW, Darren, Gorecki (multiple times), Geoff, and Ho. Adam heroically decided to stick it out and was immediately rewarded with a few pars on the back nine.
- On my group's first hole (#18), Gorecki played the wrong tees (whites instead of greens) and proceeded to almost hit across the lake to the 9th green. A much harder shot... and I should have just let him do it.
- Dave set a new good course record of 77 (gross).
- Only two people are mathematically eliminated from contention after yesterday. Travis — with his zero points — and Danny, since he didn't play enough events to qualify for the FBGC Masters next month.
- The course was in much better shape than earlier this summer. But there's still a lot of dead patches in the fairways, and inexcusable thick rough which slows down play due to lost balls. The greens were decent, at least. Thanks again to Ho for getting us out.
- Even after the 8 pitchers I recorded as purchased yesterday, we still have over 20 in the hopper. We might do something about that at a Club party in the off-season... or at the Rapture Draft party. Or both. It's a long off-season, so I'm sure we'll figure out some fun things to do. We are a social club, after all.
------------------------------------------------
I've crunched the numbers on Rapture Captains... and just about everyone is still in the mix if they win the final two events. While Chandler (me, again!) is currently #1, he has the most points dropping off the final weeks of those at the top of the rankings.
My guess is Troy and Faz will be #1 and #2 captains. We'll have a much clearer picture after our event at Big Cypress.
Draft party will be Saturday, September 23rd at Gorecki's house. Mark your calendars.
------------------------------------------------
We're off this week for Labor Day. Our next tournament is at Big Cypress at 10am on September 10th. It's a make-up event from our previously rained out Major.
I have 16 rain checks which will get you half-off the $48 green fee. Those who are entitled to them are:
Dan
Dave
Casey
Topor
Travis
Chandler
Billy
Geoff
Reid
Adam
Faz
Gary
Moostie
John
Danny
Brendan
If you're on that list and playing September 10th... make sure you get the voucher from me before you pay. If you're not on that list... give me like $20 and I'll hook you up with a voucher... and use that money to repay someone unable to attend (ie: Travis). It'll save you $4 and everyone "wins."
Update your RSVP now to reflect if you're playing.
See you then.

Not Eligible. That was the day I forgot to pay, and I won't be there anyway.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
And congrats on the win dear leader! You deserve something after that well-planned and awesome trip back to the midwest.
ReplyDeleteWhen did I walk off a course? Where is the link to flag this article for misinformation? Im going to start getting my recaps from a. More reputable source!
ReplyDeleteI'll never understand why you people dare to question me about Club history. We need to get you to the point of automatically believing anything I post.
ReplyDeleteGeoff and Gorecki walked off the course halfway through the FBGC Championship at Fox Hollow on July 12, 2015... the 6th event (2nd Major) of the Summer 2015 season.
Here's a link to the tournament page.
We started on the back nine that day, and they both (coincidentally) shot 60 (gross) on their first nine holes. Storms rolled in and they bailed instead of waiting in the clubhouse for the weather to clear. They were basically rolling the dice hoping for the event to be cancelled — all the while knowing they were on pace for zero points anyway.
And therefore, everything in this recap is validated. Let the record reiterate that Geoff walked off a course due to bad play and/or "other" concerns.
Let me know if you want me to tell any other stories. Like Gorecki bailing at the turn at Waterlefe while getting drubbed by Dave in Match Play in 2017. Or when Darren bailed (also at Waterlefe) in 2014 when he was +13 (gross) through 7 holes because he didn't want to sit through a 30 minute rain delay.
Oh... it's worth noting that the bad course record at Fox Hollow is 108 by Crum. Had Geoff and Gorecki NOT walked off the course back in 2015... one of them would definitely hold that record.
ReplyDeleteOne of my previous wins… how could I forget, Geoff?
ReplyDeleteChandler, since you offered, can you tell the story of your Rapture Singles Match Play Event that you played in 2021.
ReplyDeleteAlso, at the request of my carpool crew, can the commissioner and/or board member clarify league rule 8.2 on if a ball is lost in the fairway or rough, and no hazards are in the vicinity, if a “free drop” should be be given if you drop a new ball in the area you believe the ball should be, or should a one stroke penalty be assessed?
ReplyDeleteWe don't have an official "free drop" rule. The Board will take it up in the off-season.
ReplyDeleteAny "free drop" for a lost ball is supposed to be based on common sense. Like one time we played at Pebble Creek and someone lost a ball in the middle of the fairway on a par-3. Everyone saw where it landed, but the ground was so wet we couldn't find it embedded.
I can't remember the last time a "free drop" was awarded... but I know it happened at least three times Sunday (once for a Member who got zero points and twice for a guest). Obviously this is something we can't have abused.
Ya and that was the discussion in the car as there’s been instances where sometimes penalties assessed and others not. The 8.2 rule I interpret as a lateral drop w penalty assessed. So if you can’t find your ball in the rough, u can drop outside of the rough w a 1 stroke penalty. With our league we (currently) don’t have a gallery and spotters to find and flag mark our balls when they head off course.
ReplyDeleteOn Sunday when we couldn’t find the non league member’s ball in the rough, we gave him a free drop IN the rough.
So if the board can discuss this and are we then giving the player these options to review and then decide how’d theyd like to play it?
Also is an unplayable ball not in a hazard awarded a free drop? I recall an instance this season (US Opem maybe?) where Rory was in a fairway bunker, hit the ball and embedded it into to lip of the bunker (the dirt part not the sand) and he was awarded a free drop w no penalty and placed his ball outside the bunker for reasons of it being an unplayable ball.
The Board will take it up and clarify. But we partially gave the non-member free drops because we needed to move on with our day and I was tired of looking.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Rory thing... don't confuse "unplayable" with "embedded." We use the PGA TOUR local rule that an embedded ball (not in a bunker or hazard) gets free relief. Which is what happened with Rory since his ball was not touching sand. If it was touching sand, it would be deemed in a bunker and he'd have to take a penalty to remove it and drop it in the bunker.
"Unplayable" is completely different. It's a ball not embedded below the earth and thus requires a penalty to remove it and drop within a couple of club lengths. This usually happens when you find your ball in a bush or up against a tree.
If the ball is in a hazard... unplayable or embedded... you never get a free drop.
That Waterlefe rain delay in 2014 was more like an hour and I thought everyone had packed it in. I didn't intentionally walk off the course.
ReplyDeleteQuitter!
ReplyDeleteAlso, the recap from that 2014 event says the rain delay was only 30 minutes. You people and your revisionist history! Like telling me I haven't always been a Coors Light guy....
ReplyDeleteRead the 2014 recap here.
You're the ultimate gaslighter. Never drank a Coors Light in your life until you let a little peer pressure scare you away from your AB loyalty. Shameful....
ReplyDelete