Monday, August 3, 2026

The Hangover - Summer 2026 Recap

We had an absolute epic battle this past weekend, which came down to the final hole! Dan nearly missed a hole-in-one, to tap in for birdie and a 1-shot lead over Andrea on the Black Course. The pressure got to her as she completely duffed her tee shot into a fairway greenside bunker. Stymied by a catch-basin and some strategic mounding, the packed gallery watched in astonishment as her birdie attempt scared the hole — but ultimately settled for a par.
 
Chandler and Reid finished T1 on the Black Course (-4), with Chandler also taking the top spot on the Red Course at +3.
 
A big thanks to the "others" who hosted a record 70% field-turnout!
 
Not pictured: two WAGs and one kid
 
--------------------------------------- 
 
On Sunday we had another epic battle at Scepter, also reaching the final hole! Chandler (that's me!) made a classy two-putt par on 18, followed by Dan's short par-miss, to tie for the Hangover Pot. Both players had some bone-headed swings on the back nine, but still walked away $25 richer in Chandler Bucks!
 
Reid had the money in his hand until a triple bogey on 18 lifted his hopes, cleaned his dreams, and placed his chances further down the leader board.
 
Gary would have easily won the day, if not for a cinco and quad bogey on two par 5s. His even-par run from 10 through 15 was still impressive.
 
Back-Nine-Ho reared his ugly head again with a 37-45... but he did make an eagle!
 
Buchert looked like a man who has been gallivanting around the globe instead of working on his game. He hit every possible ball flight that can be applied to a golf ball.
 
At the other end of all the spectrums, somehow Gorecki tied Buchert at +17 (net), despite seemingly playing well! PopStroke unlocked something in his brain I've been telling him for years. If he could get off the tee (I can fix that too if he'd ever listen) he might find the winners circle!

---------------------------------------
 
And finally, we have to discuss the rain-out that never was. I was literally soaking wet, standing in Gary's garage, watching Davis Islands flash flood, and listening to my parents (and multiple Member texts) exclaim: "it's raining!" Yes, I'm aware. 
 
But it wasn't raining in Sun City Center. And the largest cells appeared to be missing to the north and south. And the forecast showed it clearing up by 11am, only an hour after our scheduled tee time. 
 
I don't want to drive down to Sun City Center and get rained out. But I also don't want to spend additional time and effort scheduling an unnecessary make-up week. We need to err on the side of attempting to play. If Scepter was already flooded like Pinellas and Tampa... then we'd obviously cancel.
 
Did we get lucky? Or does Chandler actually know how to read a weather radar? The real answer is: it's irrelevant! 
 
Every event is at least 6 hours of our day that we've blocked off. If we get rained out... then we're still within that window. We can have a few beers and an early lunch. It changes nothing on the calendar.
 
Now... I'm well aware that for some of you... this may not be the case. The thought of hanging out with any number of the people on our roster is too painful. A rained out golf day — of which we've had maybe five in 31 seasons — isn't worth the time away from the nest.
 
Boy, do I have some good news for you! You all have personal agency!
 
As soon as you get in your car, YOU are deciding it's worth the attempt. Your actions are literally agreeing that we shouldn't cancel. If you truly felt otherwise, you'd stay home and laugh at those of us who "wasted" our Sunday morning.
 
And this applies well beyond a weather forecast. We've had sporadic outbreaks of Grumpy Boy Syndrome over the years among current, former, and perhaps soon-to-be-former Members.

If the tee time is too late. If the temperature is too hot. If the round might get rained out. If the course is too far away. If you don't like the pairings. If the greens fee is too expensive. If you're playing in a group behind Tall Mike. If you hate the course. If you're golfing against your family's wishes. 
 
Stay home.
 
Quarantine yourself for at least 15 days to stop the spread. Wash your groceries. Wash your clubs. Triple mask. Do whatever performative things stop you from feeling like someone is making you play golf.
 
Our penalty for bailing the morning of is laughably weak. Take advantage of it!
 
Gorecki said on Saturday that the league is dying. Reid replied the league will always exist as long as we have at least four people. As a two-time Champion in the Golden Era of FBGC, I wonder if that number is too high!
 
---------------------------------------
 
The pace Sunday was amazing. Group 3 — with two players shooting +17 (net) — played in 3:29. This is vastly more impressive than Group 1 playing in 3 hours. They had 25% less people, and 33% less shots... and only played 14% faster?!? Embarrassing! Topor, Marcus and Ho are the new Group of Death. Unfortunately, those three along with Molasses Dave are going to jam up the course this weekend. 
 
--------------------------------------- 
 
We're at Reunion this upcoming Sunday. Twelve spots have been prepaid ($118.95, which is far lower than Gorecki remembers). If you have to bail, good luck selling your spot.
 
It will probably rain on us. It rains every day in Orlando. So here's the rain policy from our contract:

• 3 or fewer holes played – rain check issues for full amount
• Hole 4 – 12 completed - 9-hole rain check to be validated for 6 months
• Hole 13 –18 completed - No credit
 
I'll post the scorecard in a bit. 

10 comments:

  1. Since he won't actually post who won since they weren't at the event...
    Great job by Topor from LIFTing himself into contention, CLEANing his tee shots up by only hitting drive twice, and PLACEing the ball where they needed to be to avoid doubles and triples (except for 2 holes that he got 2 strokes on)... I think that LCP'd him to a personal best in league play as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday's get together was great and seeing the wive's competive side come out against their spouse's was entertaining. Hopefully Putt Putt / Top Golf / Golf Bays will be considered when scheduling future event nights out.

    And if Reunion is charging $118.95 for Sunday's round, does Marcus know that's the amount because I was venmo'd $99.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't make it anyway. He could have sent you $0 and just shown up. Be happy you got anything

      Delete
    2. So if someone else bails... and is happy getting $99.99... are you going to return the $99.99 you were sent?

      Just trying to see what level of stubbornness you're willing to achieve.

      Delete
  3. Where am I being stubborn? I was just asking for clarification if Marcus was aware of the what the round costs and that's what he instructed you to Venmo me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering you and I talked about this... maybe you just want it spelled out on the blog. No worries.

      Marcus said he didn't want to play Reunion because the cost was over $100. He offered you $40 for the round last week. You got offended by that offer and said that he should pay full price.

      After the round yesterday, I negotiated $99.99 paid to you. I assumed you'd be happy with that offer.

      If this is not the case, please send me the $99.99 back and Marcus will be OUT of the tournament.

      Your call!

      Delete
    2. Yup, what he said.

      Golfing gets in the way of my drinking so I don’t care, let it rain. Unless the 99.99 gets refunded , then I’m out.

      Delete
  4. Great write up… sorry I missed it. I vote for Gorecki refunding Marcus” money and both of them being out…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure it’s a voting situation. I honestly (this isn’t a bit) thought I was doing good by Gorecki in getting the bid up to $99.99. But alas, all of my deeds must be punished.

      Yesterday, Gorecki was sent a Venmo request to refund the money. All he has to do is press a button. He has yet to do so, which means he’s accepting the bid.

      Since the deadline to bail is 11:59pm Friday, we’ll set that as the same deadline for him to press that refund button.

      Delete